Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former Duke of York, has been released under investigation following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office, according to Thames Valley Police.
The arrest occurred on Thursday morning at Sandringham, with police carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. King Charles III stated that the "law must take its course" and that the police had his "full and wholehearted support and co-operation".
Thames Valley Police confirmed that the man, in his 60s, had been released under investigation. The police also stated that their searches in Norfolk had been concluded.
Police Response
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: "We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time." Norfolk Constabulary is supporting the Thames Valley Police investigation.
The former prince was pictured leaving Aylsham police station after his release. This is the first time Andrew has been arrested, and he has consistently denied any wrongdoing.
Investigation Background
Police had previously considered investigating Andrew over allegations relating to his association with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Communications between the pair were featured in files released by the US government.
The former prince served as the UK's trade envoy between 2001 and 2011, and it appears he forwarded government reports and information on investment opportunities to Epstein.
Royal Family Response
King Charles III said he learned of the news with the "deepest concern" and that the law must take its course. The Prince and Princess of Wales support the King's statement.
Queen Camilla was asked about the arrest but did not respond. The royal family has maintained a business-as-usual approach, opting to continue with their engagements despite the developments.
Reactions and Developments
Former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has submitted a five-page letter to several UK police forces providing new information from the Epstein files. The brother of the late Virginia Giuffre, Sky Roberts, believes his sister had been "vindicated" by news of Andrew's arrest.
US President Donald Trump reacted to the arrest, saying: "I think it's very sad. I think it's so bad for the Royal family." The initial investigation was closed in 2019, but prosecutors say new revelations "warrant further examination".

