US President Trump Criticizes UK Plan to Hand Over Chagos Islands

James Carter | Discover Headlines
0

US President Donald Trump has criticized the UK's plan to hand over the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, saying "this land should not be taken away from the UK".

Trump's comments come despite the US Department of State giving its official backing to the planned handover on Tuesday. The UK Foreign Office said the deal was "crucial to the security of the UK and our key allies, and to keeping the British people safe".

According to the BBC, the UK will lease back Diego Garcia, the largest island in the archipelago, for a period of 99 years under the deal announced last May.

Background on the Chagos Islands

The Chagos Islands, officially known as the British Indian Ocean Territory, have been under British control since 1814 and are located about 5,799 miles south-east of the UK.

Mauritius has long argued that it was illegally forced to give the islands away as part of a deal to gain independence. The islands have a strategic military base used by the UK and US armed forces.

Reactions to Trump's Comments

UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has previously insisted the deal is necessary to protect the continued operation of the base. Shadow foreign secretary Dame Priti Patel said Trump's comments were "an utter humiliation" for Starmer.

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey said Trump's latest change in position showed that the UK needed to pursue closer ties with Europe. Reform UK leader Nigel Farage praised Trump's criticism of London's handling of the issue.

Protests Against the Deal

Earlier this week, four Chagos islanders opposing the handover deal landed on the Chagos Islands' remote atoll as part of a protest against the deal. They refused to leave despite a threat of eviction by a British maritime patrol.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!